Colors of Carrots
We think of carrots as orange, but they can also be white, yellow, red, and purple.
A Surprising Hater of Carrots
Mel Blanc, the voice of the iconic cartoon character Bugs Bunny, reportedly did not like carrots.
Healthy Recipe: Carrot Quinoa Grain Medley
Makes 8 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
1½ cup carrots, diced (about 3 medium)
1 large onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
2½ cups unsalted, nonfat chicken stock
pinch salt and pepper
2 oz dry roasted salted pistachio kernels, chopped
1. Heat medium saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and quinoa and stir 3 to 4 minutes to toast quinoa.
2. Add carrots, onion, red pepper, garlic, and
1 tbsp parsley. Stir 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock and bring medley to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove saucepan from heat, let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
5. Garnish with pistachios and parsley.
266 calories,10 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 9 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol,
5 g fiber,
5 g sugar, 171 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.